Re: '65, '66, or '67 MGB

To: loki@computek.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '65, '66, or '67 MGB
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 14:31:16 -0500
Most of the changes on later cars were for things like smog and safety, I for
one aren't about to replace my stylish steel dash and toggle switches with
the appearence-impaired padded dash and rockers. But some of the stuff was
better, here's my short list:
The two big improvements on the later cars were (1) alternator (if you have
lots of electrical accessories its helpful and is easy to do if you are
willing to make a bracket and sort out the wiring)
and (2) the full syncro box.
The joy of the 4 syncro box conversion is that it is not visible to the
untrained eye. The later starter and slightly rearward position of the
shifter is all that shows.
You will need a 4 syncro box, flywheel and starter from a 68-on car, the 4
syncro boxes were upgraded by 72 or so with better syncros, so go that way. A
small cut (3 inches or so) must be made in the driveshaft tunnel just aft of
the removable trans cover to open up the tunnel to make room for the shifter,
a little metal fab will fix it or the folks at British Parts in Novato Ca.
sell a nice injection molded poly-something cover made to fit the now larger
hole. Be sure to do the throw-out bearing while you're in there, and check
the clutch for wear as well.
The one other late-car advantage is the high-back seats...if you wish, those
simply slide onto the tracks that are already there.
Good Luck