Heater Control Knobs, Dash, et al...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Heater Control Knobs, Dash, et al...
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 14:35:46 -0600
Hello,

First, thanks again to everyone who has helped me out (which is just about
everyone on this list).  I don't send a personal thanks to everyone (since
that would take a long time <g>) and I hope everyone knows that they are
helping a lot!!!

Now... since my heater valve died I decided to take apart the entire heater
control system (knob, level, cable, valve, etc.).  I am replacing the valve
but not the heater control (the part behind the dash).  My problem is (and
always has been) that the heater knob has been hard to turn.  Right now I
have the heater control soakin in Palmolive (ok, ok, cleaner) and I am
hoping it becomes easier to move -- but I doubt it.  Does anyone have any
secrets for making it work easier?  What should I lubricate it with?

My really question for this post is that in the dash (66 MGB) about each
knob (the heater control and the heater vent knobs) is a little hold about
this size: 'o' <g> that I assume some sort of 'piece' goes in to brightly
indicate the top of the dial (like we couldn't figure it out by ourselves).
Anyway, I have never found what was supposed to be in there and I would love
to make my dash look 100% original.  Does anyone know what goes in these
holes?  The color?  Material?  Etc?

Also, what about the otherside of the dash -- where the overdrive stuff
would normally be (if I had an overdrive).  I have them plugged up with
little rubber pieces (I suppose the technical name is plugs).  I have three
holes -- one big and two small ones (one on either side of the big hole).

Lastly, how do I fix a glovebox that is not straight.  The mounting hardware
doesn't seem to allow you to fix problems with crooked glove boxes.  On one
side of the glove box (on the top) it matches correctly but the other side
has a gap of about 1/2" and it is a tiny but out from the dash.

Lastly again, is the speaker console supposed to be screwed in or just sit
there all snug and comfortable?  If it is screwed in, what types of screws
(the same ones in the door panels?)??

Thanks,
Ross
66 MGB