Re: Roll Bar, racing seats, harness.

To: Thomas Wannenburg <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Subject: Re: Roll Bar, racing seats, harness.
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 19:34:43 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Thomas Wannenburg wrote:

>    The seats, and seat belts in my Midget are very worn.  I need to replace
>the
> belts for sure and I am not sure if the seats are worth the effort to try to
> rescue.  I have also thought of installing a roll bar like the (SCCA aproved)
> one advertised in VB.  I would prefer to still be able to use my
> rag(literally)top.  This made me think - should I consider just replacing my
> seats with racing seats, and add 5 point restraints.  I am not going to race
>it
> so I don't know if these things are worth doing.  I would appreciate
>comments,
> advice, cost estimates, sources of the above items etc.

Racing harnesses are available from various racing supply shops

Pegasus (800) 688-6946  (fax) (800) 742-0484
(Simpson belts from $89 to $195)

Chassis Shop (phone) (800) 530-9494 (fax) (616) 873-0218
(Pyrotechs belt from $84 to $150)

There are other brands, ie. TRW donated one to our FSAE race team.
Camlock and all!!  Neat harness.

I don't know I'd reccommend putting a 5 point harness in a daily driver,
it seems a bit parinoid........but then in a wreck, you wouldn't move..

Noting of course that the 5 point harness would HAVE to be attached (with
proper Grade 5 or better fasteners) to a proper rollbar.

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME senior - Mississippi State University
Design Coordinator - MSU Formula SAE......Powered by Honda......
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB - 85 Buick LaSabre - 95 DiamondBack Sorrento