Re: To heat or not

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To heat or not
From: johnhunt@eeap.ogi.edu (John Hunt)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:22:54 +0800
Morrice Curet, wrote:

>I have a '70 MGB and would like a more enthusiastic response when I push
>the Heater Fan Switch on the dash.  Has anybody had any experience
>upgrading or changing from a one-speed fan to a two speed fan?  Looking
>in the catalogs, all the motors seem the same, with the only difference
>being the switch.  Thanks.

Morrice:

My '68 MGB has impressive fan output from its single speed
fan.  You might want to measure the actual voltage delivered
to the fan motor.  Maybe there are some losses in the
switch, connectors or wiring.  If you find losses they should
be easy to trace with a voltmeter.  Maybe all you need is
a switch replacement or to clean up a connector.

As for an upgrade rather than a repair, I seem to recall
a reader note about a year ago in the Moss Motors mailer
which suggested adding a relay to the fan motor circuit.

The article indicated that the increase in air flow was
significant if you provided full battery voltage to the
fan motor.

John Hunt               johnhunt@eeap.ogi.edu

Senior Research Engineer
Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics
Oregon Graduate Institute

(503) 690-1143