Re: Gulp valves ...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gulp valves ...
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 02:34:13 -0500
Several years ago, I installed the Anti-backfire kit which
VB sells.  The instructions say to insert it in between the
air pump and the air injection manifold and to remove the
gulp valve and plug its openings.  My backfiring problem disappeared
completely and my car (1980 MGB with dual HS4s and no
catalytic converter) passes the NY emissions inspection with
room to spare.

Just for reference, I am using the original Lucas electronic ignition
with separate amplifier and I have my timing set at 15 degrees btdc
at 600 rpm (measured without vacuum advance.)  For the state
inspection I generally lean both carbs one complete turn.

Peter Schauss
pschauss@aol.com
1980 MGB
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II