Re: Gearbox Oil type? and where to fill?

To: loki@computek.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gearbox Oil type? and where to fill?
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 01:39:49 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-11 21:35:12 EST, loki@computek.net (Ross A.
Goldberg) writes:

> am a little confused on where to top off the fluid in my gearbox and what
>type of oil to put in it.  According to my Haynes manual it says to use
>20w/50 motor oil (the same thing I put in my engine) but I wanted to confirm
>that.  The manual also says that on earlier gearboxes (mine is a 66 MGB
>non-overdrive) you have to lift the carpet to fill the gearbox?????
>
>Please help me figure this one out... I have a dripping gearbox I am sure is
>thirsty for some fresh oil (it was rebuilt less than 5k ago!!!)

Yes. 20w50 is the magic juice ordained by the Great MOWOG Gods of England
You are required to violate the modesty of the car by not only lifting the
carpet (right side, behind radio speaker) but by also pulling open it's body
plug!!!! (close your eyes, apologize to the car afterwards, and don't tell
your wife!) Once there you will find a cute little dipstick that will tell
you that you are out of oil, and via the hole it came out of , and the help
of a suitably small funnel to fill with, you will succeed in only spilling
half of the oil on the carpet (the rest will be on the garage floor!)
Now take all the oily rags you've accumulated and force-feed them to the twit
who rebuilt the box as a leaky one!  (unless it was you ..... :-)  )