Re: I killed my cat.

To: DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I killed my cat.
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 01:57:21 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-12 04:58:43 EST, DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu (Lee
Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu) writes:

>Most brands are made up essentially ethylene glycol, which is lethal in
>humans at a dose of about 100ml. (um, about 5 or 6 ounces).
>
>HOWEVER, propylene glycol (i.e. the Sierra brand) is considered by
>toxicologists to be essentially harmless to humans
Sierra has made such claims, but they have been debunked to the point of
having had to pull their commercials. Perhaps it is harmless to humans,
although I seem to remember that they were using other additives that were
not, and may I point out that at low concentrations many things are
relatively harmless, that I still wouldn't sit down and drink for dinner.
Having said that, If I recall, the big objection was that the Sierra coolent
still wasn't at all safe for animals, but was in fact lethal, and that it was
somewhat harmful to smaller people, ie kids, the type likely to drink a large
amount of something sweet....
BTW economics didn't seem to be the issue, they sold it fairly competively
priced and seemed to have money for advertising....
The point remains..Keep the animals and kids away from ALL car fluids!