Webber Carb on MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Webber Carb on MGB
From: FUSIONDES@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 00:40:59 -0500
   I have had a '70 roadster for 4 years, but have been having problems not
being able to lean-out the worn out SU carbs (they run pretty rich, but the
car runs good). I bought a used Webber down-draft carb & manifold (from a
fellow club member) with the intent of trying it on the car. Last October I
purchased a 1974 GT. After a leisurly paint prep and subsequent paint job, I
turned my attention to the engine.  I had to do a valve job, and after
installing the rebuilt head, I installed the Webber. I wanted to make the GT
a daily driver, and as reliable as I could, and since the Webber has two
adjustments (idle speed & mixture), I thought it might be better suited to
that car. (Plus I could swap the SU's on the Roadster with the GT's better
looking ones).
   The GT runs beautifully (much smoother than with the SU's), has an
electric choke, starts good, but ... is a pig.  I didn't drive it that much
with the SU's, but I know it is MUCH slower than the Roadster.  Much, much
slower (accelleration)!  It is almost embarassing when I am in traffic.  I
see British Victoria lists a Jet assortment kit for Webbers -- might I have a
"Granny" jet (or fuel economy type jet) in the carb.  Should I buy the jet
kit, find a bigger, better, whatever jet that will make the car perform
better ... or are down draft Webbers (a two barrel) that much poorer
performers than dual SU carbs.  Does the GT, weighing more than the Roadster
hamper performance? Anybody with Webber experience out there?  Love the idea
of the much simpler to maintain Webber, hate the performance!  Thanking you
in advance.

Dave Tietz
'70 MGB Roadster/'74 MGB-GT -- Love the cars, love the Marque!