B tires & wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: B tires & wheels
From: RBigsby@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 17:24:11 -0500
A tip for determining tire diameter and width:

D = wheel dia + 2(width x ratio / 25.4)
W = width x 25.4

So, 165SR14 = 14 + 2(165 x .78 / 25.4) = 24.13"

The .78 comes from the standard ratio of sidewall heighth to tire width of
78%.  This is how we get away with using a "larger" tire that may be 75, 70,
or lower ratio - the overall dia can remain the same.

Related subject:  does anyone have any experience converting MGB hubs to a 5
bolt configuration?  I am tired of searching for tires and paying riduculous
prices when I find them.  My wife's Saturn rolls on 195/60-15's and the dia
is nearly identical - just the width to worry about.  The Saturn bolt circle
is too small, though, at 100mm.  The MG, I believe, is 120 mm.  Any ideas?