Re: 67 BGT Caliper Rebuild

To: Mark Jurras <JURRAM@torrington.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 67 BGT Caliper Rebuild
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:33:14 +0500
Mark Jurras wrote:
>On my list of activities for my 1967 BGT is to get the braking system in
>top condition. I see MOSS has a kit to put the calipers back togeather if
>you split them apart. Do I need to split them to rebuild them?

Don't do it.  Even though it's held together with regular hex-head bolts,
resist the temptation.  They were never meant to be split, and it's not part
of any refurbishing procedure.  The only case in which it would be useful
would be if the o-rings are ruined and fluid is seeping out between the
halves, at which point I'd just go ahead and replace the whole thing.

Thanks for a new spin on an old question.  Usually it comes up only *after*
somebody has split their calipers.  :)
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu  | Virginia Tech
http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html