Re: oil>>>>>slick

To: PVANDAL@aol.com, mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: oil>>>>>slick
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:24:12 +0500
PVANDAL@aol.com wrote:
>Last fall I purchased a '73 MGB driver to sit along side my  '62 AH-BT7 and
>'68 TR-250.  Although both the latter vehicles leak oil, it in no way comes
>close to the MG.
>What are the normal places to
>begin to control the circumstance?

Check the tappet covers below the carbs.  If that side of the engine is
caked in greasy filth, you've likely found the problem in a perished gasket.
Happens a lot.

Replacing the gaskets is cheap and straightforward enough, except you should
probably remove the manifolds first.  I took the lazyman's way here and
ended up with black Permatex from elbow to fingertips.  Man, I looked like
Brer Rabbit after his run-in with the Tarbaby.  Then I had to do it all over
again because the gaskets didn't seat correctly, and the car was leaving a
nice breadcrumb-trail of oil everywhere I went.
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu  | Virginia Tech
http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html