Re: Possile Purchase of a TF

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Possile Purchase of a TF
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 22 Mar 1996 16:34:53 -0600
In <199603221937.LAA01124@radford.com>, Steve Patchel wrote:
>I'm seeking advice regarding a possible purchase of a TF.  Engine is
>strong, but I need to do further investigation
>regarding miles in engine, its compression , etc. Advice on what to
>look for regarding the engine and gear box (compression , early
>warning signs regarding gear box problems, etc.) is very much
>appreciated.

Early postwar British cars are charming...in many respects.  One of
the biggest problems is that the alloys they had available were not
very good, so wear becomes evident early on.  This is not markedly
different from what was seen in Yank tanks of the same era, so it is
not mudslinging in a particular direction.

The XPAG engine is very hard working.  The rear axle ratio is quite
high, lots of revs per mile.  If there is more than about 60k miles on
the car, it will most likely need to be bored and have larger pistons.
Bearings are fairly robust in the later engines (TF is in this
category) if the car has had regular oil changes. If the head has not
been rebuilt, this will ultimately need attention as well if you plan
to do a lot of driving.  One of the problems is the
use of unleaded gas _can_ erode the valve seats, at least on the
exhaust valves.  While this is debatable, over the long term valve
jobs are necessary as a matter of course.  I have recently found in my
TD (essentially same engine, 81,000 miles) that the cam and lifters
also need replacement.

The transmission is not very durable.  The synchronizers wear out, and
replacement is both tricky and _very_ expensive.  Parts cost alone for
a tranny can run $1000 or more, when the parts are available at all.

>I have not test driven the car, but intend to do so in the next few days.

Listen for rattle and bearing noise in the engine.  If it sounds
smooth, it probably is, unless the dealer has adjusted the valves too
tight....  You can hear almost any fault in an XPAG engine.

Check for smooth shifting of the tranny, especially 3rd to 2nd gear
downshifts.  If there is any clashing at all, the tranny will soon
need work.  You will note that the clutch is very abrupt.  I would not
characterize these cars as "pleasant" to drive....

If the car has wire wheels, check the looseness of the splines.
Loosen a knockoff just a bit and see of the wheel rotates on the
splines.  If the rim moves more than just a little bit, both wheel and
hub will require replacement.

>The current "asking price" is US$17,400. Having no experience with relative
>value of this model MG, I'm unclear as to what constitutes "fair market"
>especially as it relates to here in Silicon Valley.

That's a fair price for a TF in solid running condition and good
cosmetics.  Any faults in the abovementioned areas can reduce the
value of the car markedly.

                        A. B. Bonds