Help! Clutch & Block?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Clutch & Block?
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 20:31:18 -0400
MG buddies! I need your help!

Drat! I wished I'd checked this earlier! Ready to install the engine in the
'77 tomorrow morning. (It looks beautiful! I thought of getting a plate of
glass, and using it as a coffe table, the family wasn't amused, and Kramer
didn't call, so I guess I'll have to put it in the car afterall!) Using this
evening as my strategy session, I was sizing up the project, when I happened
to check the movement in the clutch fork. (Why I haddn't checked this last
weekend when I wrestled the tranny on, I just don't know) Anyhow,
frustratingly the fork moves back & forth with no resistance, save for a
tinny 'clunk' when it meets the clutch plate. Then, there's no 'give'. It's
solid. No movement, none, nadda, zip. I pushed and pulled on that puppy by
hand, and it's like a rock. What's up?

I can't imagine there'd be enough pressure generated by the system to budge
it forward, yet it'll flop about back and forth by hand???

Am I facing the removal of the tranny here? Break it to me gently...

And, here's another one, I just discovered that this must be an early block,
not the '72 I had thought. The clue - the mounting bracket holes cast into
the side of the block. Early generator'd cars used holes cast below plug #2
on the block. Later alternator'd (sp?) also had these holes, but an
additional set under #1 - due to the shorter alternator body. This engine
has but the one set under #2, so what's a guy to do?

One alternative (no pun intended) is to bridge the gap from the bracket to
the alternator with a long bolt encased in a metal sleeve. This would be
about 4" total. I belive it should provide the neccessary anchorage for the
unit? Whattdayahthink?

I need your input tonight if possible, as I don't want to loose this
Saturday I've scheduled! Please e-mail me directly...

Thanks in advance, gawd I love these cars...no really...

Terry (no, I really really do)Williams
mg guyc100@ra.isisnet.com
'70 BGT
'68 roadster