Engine break in questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine break in questions
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 08:24:03 -0700 (MST)
Hi all.  The engine is almost ready to go back into the MGA.  I hope to be
able to fire it up next week.  As I understand it, I need to break in the
new water pump's bearing by running it dry for 30 seconds.  At what rpm?
Then put in water and break in the cam bearings and lifters for 30 minutes
under no load without letting the engine go above 2500 or below 2000 rpm,
shutting down if necessary to prevent overheating.  Then there were some
instructions regarding seating the new piston rings on the rings'
packaging that the machine shop threw away.  How does the ring seating
process go?  I'm so excited the baby will soon be driveable!

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
Khoral Research, Inc.
Albuquerque NM USA