Re: Engine break in questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net, kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu
Subject: Re: Engine break in questions
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:16:44 -0500
> As I understand it, I need to break in the
> new water pump's bearing by running it dry for 30 seconds.  At what rpm?

I never heard of this before. but I hope you mean the pump is dry and
not the bearing. If the pump seal is dry this test may ruin it.

> Then put in water and break in the cam bearings and lifters for 30 minutes
> under no load without letting the engine go above 2500 or below 2000 rpm,
> shutting down if necessary to prevent overheating.

This is correct. Don't be alarmed if you drop to 1500rpm or go up to
3000rpm. What you do not want to do is starve the cam and lifters of
oil during this period. Too fast or too slow may do this.

> Then there were some
> instructions regarding seating the new piston rings on the rings'
> packaging that the machine shop threw away.  How does the ring seating
> process go?

While you are breaking in the cam  allow the RPM's to vary +/- 500 RPM
around the 2000 RPM that you are running. Do this for about 30 minutes
after the engine is up to  operating temp. This should seat the rings.

> I'm so excited the baby will soon be driveable!

Lucky!

What does the rest of the net wisdome say on this??

- -Mark "Gotta make my car stop before I make it go" Jurras   = =o&o