Re: Wrinkle Finish Paint

To: Paul <schwerdt@isns1.shasta.com>
Subject: Re: Wrinkle Finish Paint
From: alex.dempster@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Alex Dempster)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 12:31:37 +1200
>Now that I have my dash off, (thanks for all the help) now I need to paint
>it.
>I have read that wrinkle finish black is the proper paint to use.  I need some
>tips though about how to go about getting the best results with this stuff.  I
>tested it on a few random items and wasn't really happy with the results.  I
>want to make sure this looks good.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks...
>

>-Paul
>http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/1482/

I recently had the same experience and wasn't happy with the effect of the
wrinkle paint applied to the dash and left to dry of its own accord. I
found that if you put on the wrinkle paint, let it dry until tacky (a
couple of minutes) and then dry it with heat from a heat gun starting at
one side and working towards the other, the result is acceptable. You have
to move the nozzle of the gun around in circles to stop overheating the
paint. It would be very wise to practise on a piece of scrap steel to get
the thickness of paint and the technique right, but the result can be a
dash that is undistinguishable from new. - Alex.