Re: Speedometer

To: HANSONDR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Speedometer
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:27:05 -0500
Dave:

No, not all B's had the service interval counter. I think it's only the late
model ones...maybe the last few chrome bumpered, and definitely all the
rubber-bumpered.

Whether or not the right angle drive gear is stripped should be pretty
obvious. It's a small gear, easy to remove and replace, located on the
passenger side of the tranny.  If it looks like the teeth are worn down, it's
probably stripped.  That's about the easiest way I can say it without
actually showing you a worn one.  A usual symptom of its being worn is that
the speedo arm tends to swing a bit between gear changes, sort of
pendulum-like. Unfortunately, this is not conclusive, since that could also
be a symptom of the speedo itself going bad.  Inspect the gear and replace it
if worn; it's very cheap, fairly easy, and could save you the cost/time of
redoing the speedo.

Cheers,

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'