Re: Comment/Question Re: Floor rust - B

To: mgs@autox.team.net, "Milo Kral" <kral@anvil.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Comment/Question Re: Floor rust - B
From: SCHLINING.M.W-@smtpgty.bwi.wec.com (SCHLINING.M.W-)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:45:29 -0500
     Milo

     I am an enthustic supporter of POR15.  I have used it to fix the "old"
     and protect the "new".  I have repaired two gas tanks using POR15 and
     fiberglass and it really spiffed up the look of the tanks as well - I
     used the black.  I just finished having a new floor pan welded on to
     the passengers side of B and put two coats of POR15 on both sides of
     the pan.  I did remove the primer that was on the new pan and used the
     Metal Ready(POR15 brand of phosphoric acid) to etch the bright metal.
     I don't expect to have any trouble with rust on that floor pan for a
     very long time.  The POR15 dealer here in Baltimore has some small
     pieces of metal coated with POR15 that he used to demonstrate the
     adhesion and strength of the product.  He uses a hammer to bend a
     coated piece an then straigthens it out the same way with no damage to
     the POR15 coating.  Its a flexible, single part moisture cure urathane
     that is tough and loves to stick to rough surfaces (they do have to be
     free of oil-but rusty surfaces are generally free of oil).  Did you
     happen to get any on your fingers when you were using it. If it cures,
     its impossible to get off.  If you want to paint over the POR15 you
     will need to roughen the POR15 surface with sand paper before any
     other paint will hold.

     Moss has a sound deading kit for about $50 that replaces the old one
     that used to be on the floor pan inside.  I just received my set and
     am hoping to install them this weekend.

     Marty Schlining
     57 MGA Coupe
     75 MGB