Re: your mail

To: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:11:45 -0600 (MDT)
On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Williams/MG Guy wrote:

> This is gonna be it. The rad's in, one final check of everything,
> and it's time to turn that key. Oh Denise (not that type, and high
> priestess) I need your blessings, and every and anyone else associated, even
> loosely, with a higher power.

I know how excited you are.  My MGA started last night for the first time
in about five months.  Thanks to all on this list who helped me through the
diagnosis, rebuild, and move across the USA.

> Well, if nothing else, it sure looks pretty! (Actually, I'm pretty
> confident, I just like to whine...)

Yeah, while I had everything out of the engine bay I did a lot of
cleaning and painting.  Looks great!

> Standby - we'll be cranking it over by the weekend....
>
> Terry

Good luck, Terry!  And to go along with Denise's suggestion to keeps the
revs up for a half hour, you should be sure to preoil: attach a hose to
the oil pressure sender outlet on the block and pump oil in there to fill
the filter and lines (I used a cheap little hand pump meant for
transferring fluids like oil and it worked great), then reattach the
sender line and crank the engine with the spark plugs out to build some
pressure and make sure the oil pump is primed before you actually try to
start the car.  Be sure the crankcase and _transmission_ are filled with
oil, and fire it up!

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA (running!)
Khoral Research Inc.
Albuquerque NM USA