TD Steering Rack Lube

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Steering Rack Lube
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 96 19:38 EST
I pumped some grease into the steering rack on the old TD before consulting
the shop manual. I then topped it up with the proper gear lube. So, I now have
a mixture of grease and gear oil in the rack. I can't imagine this would hurt
anything. Am I wrong?

My real question is about the grease fitting (alias grease zirk/nipple) on the
rack. It is now dripping creating yet another puddle under the car (a real
slippery one). I probed the fitting with a thin wire and discovered that the
hole is straight through with no one-way valve. Is this the way it is supposed
to be?

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration