Re: TD Steering Rack Lube

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD Steering Rack Lube
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:06:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> I pumped some grease into the steering rack on the old TD before consulting
> the shop manual. I then topped it up with the proper gear lube. So, I now have
> a mixture of grease and gear oil in the rack. I can't imagine this would hurt
> anything. Am I wrong?

The recommended lube is heavy gear oil because it can creep along the
rack more easily to lubricate the whole thing.  Modern grease creeps
pretty well too, so I wouldn't worry about it.  Besides, the oil you added
later will thin it out.

> My real question is about the grease fitting (alias grease zirk/nipple) on the
> rack. It is now dripping creating yet another puddle under the car (a real
> slippery one). I probed the fitting with a thin wire and discovered that the
> hole is straight through with no one-way valve. Is this the way it is supposed
> to be?

Take a look at the way the ball and spring are retained in a normal Zerk
fitting, then imagine what that ball would do if it popped out and wedged
in the teeth of the rack.  I'd rather have the leak.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.