Re: MG,U-Haul,Prayer

To: Bill Singleton <wls@homarus.ccsu.ctstateu.edu>
Subject: Re: MG,U-Haul,Prayer
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 22:20:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Bill Singleton wrote:

> U-Haul also rents auto carriers.  I pulled out TD from Florida to Virginia
> driving a U-Haul van and pulling a carrier.  These are not the car tow
> dollies that only accept one pair of wheels, but full-length trailers that
> carry the entire vehicle.  U-Haul has two types. one only has tracks for
> the tires and won't accept cars with a narrow stance.  The other has a full
> floor of heavy duty steel mesh.  The U-Haul rep I spoke with said I could
> not use the first type with the TD, but I don't know if the B has a
> sufficient width between the wheels.
>
> This arrangement gives you a 12-foot truck into which to put your parts and
> enough towing power to handle the trailer & B.  It's a good idea to have a
> car cover if you're towing.

I rented a car transport with the dual tracks and open deck together with
a truck to pull it when I brought my Sunbeam Alpine home.  Worked
beautifully; the Alpine fit on the tracks with a couple inches to spare.
Be warned, however, the first time round they promised it would be ready
and waiting for me, took my deposit, then gave the trailer to someone
else.  I raised such hell that they found a way to rent me one the next day.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910