Re: Problem - Excessive oil usage

To: Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@tidv.dti.gov.uk>
Subject: Re: Problem - Excessive oil usage
From: Napoleon Solo <G.M.Purkiss@bradford.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:55:09 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Phillips Kevin wrote:

> Here Goes...
>
> Since buying it I have used the car regularly for the last three weeks and
> continually been checking the oil, water, timing, gaps electric's etc. and
> listening for noises - all checked out OK, but for one thing - the car uses
>LOTS
> and LOTS of oil... By which I mean will go from Max to Min on the stick in
>the
> space of 300 motorway miles...Driving at 70mph.
>
> Otherwise it runs really well, does not appear to smoke, does not leak oil
>(at
> least when parked in the garage).

        Kev,

        My car exhibits the same problem, but has done 116,000 miles
with only a top end overhaul some time ago. I'm leaving it well alone
until I can afford the time and money to rebuild the entire engine & fit
an unleaded cylinder head in the process. Sounds like the piston rings on
your car are worn.

        Question is, how many miles has your car done, and if the head is
not the problem, can you afford an engine rebuild ? - no point doing
things by halfs - if a job's worth doing and all that.........

                        G-Man

    **************   ***************    **************    **************
    **************   ***************    **************    **************