Re: Best BRG colors

To: mgs@autox.team.net, 102221.1716@CompuServe.COM
Subject: Re: Best BRG colors
From: jsnyder@snicc.dseg.ti.com (James A. Snyder)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 15:04:32 CDT
Rick,

I don't claim to be a paint expert but here are a few things I have seen
that can cause the differences in colors that you mention.

1. The paint on the car has faded due to exposure to the elements.

2. The paints from different cans (you mentioned remainder of one can)
   may be slightly different, especially when mixed in small amounts.
   Because of this, you should always mix all cans that you intend to
   use on one vehicle.

3. The paint may not have been uniformly mixed either when originally
   applied or at touch-up time.

4. The appearance of some paints (mainly metallics) is seriously affected
   by application techniques such as air pressure, paint volume, distance
   from the spray gun to the painted surface and even direction of
   application (right to left, top to bottom, etc.)

The moral of the story: When touching up paint, always paint entire panels
or paint all the way to a break in the surface if possible.

Jim Snyder