Re: MGB or TR6?

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Subject: Re: MGB or TR6?
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:05:11 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 16 Apr 1996 joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com wrote:

> I've spent a few months looking for a 65-67 MGB roadster and have been coming
>up
> dry.  Meanwhile, I've been noticing quite a few TR6's for sale.  Given the
>facts
> that 1) I'm handy but not a mechanic; 2) I'm looking for a reliable daily
> driver; and 3) I occasionally want the thrill of the wind in what's left of
>my
> hair; which car would serve me better?  And why?

1) you can learn

2) i think any of these types of cars can be reliable if properly
maintained.  you just have to realize that some things have to be
replaced or repaired after 30 years.  then maybe they'll go another 30
before needing it again.  also you become one with the car.  you hear and
feel what it's telling you.  if something is different you find out what
it is and if it's a problem.  this is why i posted the other day about not
needing a radio.  if all you can hear is "BOOM BOOM BOOM" you're not as
likely to notice "tick tick tick" or whatever.

3) uh, occasionally?  how about an mx-5?  :)  no offense to mx-5 owners,
i wave at them if they have the hood down.  (my arm's not very tired :)
i almost never have my hood up.  of course we have better lbc weather
here than many places.  anyway these cars are different cars.  you should
drive as many as you can.  i used to want a tr6 because i thought they
looked so cool, big 6 and all that.  i drove every lbc i could find for
sale and they were all different.  when i drove my MGA i immediately knew
this was the one.  try hard not to let the seller know this.  :)  for me,
fit and driving position were very important.  i'm 6'3" and 190 lbs and
the tr6 and spitfire were not comfortable to me.  the MGA, once i'm
inside, just _feels_ right.  it's not as (fill in the blank) as some
other lbcs but it's _me_.  good luck finding the one that's _you_.

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
Khoral Research Inc.
Albuquerque NM USA