Re: Chrome/rubber bumpers (was: MGB's)

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: Chrome/rubber bumpers (was: MGB's)
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:52:18 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Denise Thorpe wrote>
> This is my memory of the justification, also.  In addition, there was a two
> mph limit for the rear that was later rescinded.  I don't know if I'm stating
> the obvious or not, but the ride height increased for the rubber-bumpered B
> because of the US bumper height laws.  We're all supposed to drive cars that
> have the same height, indestructible bumpers so that we can drive like we're
> driving bumper cars.  I was told that the B's rubber bumper was designed to
> fit in with the style of the body, but that this made the bumper lower than
> required so the entire car was raised two inches to make the bumper the right
> height.  I've always thought that it was a shame that the United States
> ruined the B for the British.

At the time the bumpers were changed, MGs were also required to have
catalytic converters. I always thought that the height had to be increased
due to the converter, not for bumper alignment.

But it was a sad time for the MG line as the car's performance suffered in
handling and accelleration due to those U.S. regulations.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net