RE: Distributors

To: Don Mathis <tdm@smtp-gw.ak.att.com>
Subject: RE: Distributors
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:19:04 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Don Mathis wrote:

> Speaking of Distributors.....You ought to attempt to find a distributor cap
> for a '37 Bentley !!  I've seen them priced around $80 - up.  If I were to
> replace my points with an electronic ignition ( forget originality...I'll
> hide it somewhere.)  Could I use a slightly cracked distributor cap?  This
> is just information to give me options for the future.  Thanks--

Don -
No, you couldn't!
The problem with a cracked cap is that the crack provides an electric path
(by attracting moisture???). The electricity that is supposed to fire your
plugs is distributed by the rotor to the contacts in your cap.
This electricity is very lazy! Rather than jumping from the rotor to the
contact in the cap, go through the plug wires into the plug and then jump
from the center electrode to the body of the plug (and thus to ground),
it much prefers to jump from the rotor to the crack in the cap and go down
the crack directly to ground (the body of the distributor). Thus, some or
all of your plugs won't fire  :-(

The only problem an elec. ign. will compensate for is a worn distributor
shaft bushing (shaft has play), because the points are eliminated.

Good Luck, Ulix

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy