Re: 72 Midget: SU Carb vents ?

To: Chuck_Ciaffone_at_WG-RAL@smtp.wg.com
Subject: Re: 72 Midget: SU Carb vents ?
From: Greg Johnson <ab916@ccn.cs.dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:42:52 -0300
On Tue, 23 Apr 1996 Chuck_Ciaffone_at_WG-RAL@smtp.wg.com wrote:

>      While trying to "clean up" the engine compartment in my 72
>      Midget, I came across what looks to be just a fuel-bowl venting
>      system.  From the top of each SU fuel bowl, next to the fuel
>      inlet line, is a short hose that leads to a 1/4" pipe.  The
>      pipe then goes to the evap cannister.
>
>      When I removed the pipe and plugges the 2 hoses, the engine ran
>      badly.  No fuel getting into the bowl?
>
>      When I unplugged the hoses, but left off the pipe, all ran
>      well.  As nothing appears to leak out of these hoses, is there
>      a compelling reason to replace them?
>
>      chuck

I don't remember where these hoses were going before (the PO had removed
the emissions system), but we tried venting these hoses to the gas tank,
which has a vented cap (well, now it does...drill, drill) . However, like
plugging the hoses off, the car dies.  Since I have the engine out for
Clutch work, I plan to clean up the engine bay, and simply run some hoses
down , so overflowing fuel doesn't splatter all over the place.

   / ______/        |   |  Greg A.M.Johnson           '72 & '66 MGB
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dalhousie University
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
   * See the British Automobile Touring Association of NS Home Page!*

          http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html