Re: '72 MGB Transmission Leak

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '72 MGB Transmission Leak
From: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:50:49 CST
> Date sent:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 21:42:46 -0300
> From:           Greg Johnson <ab916@ccn.cs.dal.ca>
> To:             MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject:        '72 MGB Transmission Leak
> Send reply to:  Greg Johnson <ab916@ccn.cs.dal.ca>

> Hello all,
>         While my engine and tranny are removed for clutch
> replacement, I am fixing the transmission leak at the front cover.  When
> I removed the front cover, a shim was shreaded inside.
>
> How important is it to replace this shim?  Where might I get shims for
> this application , if I need them that badly?  Transmission shop? Obviously
> the shim hasn't been doing it's job lately.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>     ________         ___
>    / ______/        |   |  Greg A.M.Johnson           '72 & '66 MGB
>  /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.
>  \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dalhousie University
>    \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
>           \/
>    * See the British Automobile Touring Association of NS Home Page!*
>
>           http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html

Same thing happened to mine.  Don't know what the shim was for.  I
reinstalled the running gear and have been driving for a bit now with
no ill effects noticed.  Wish I knew where the shim came from and
what it was for.

Bill Olson
Arkansas State University

67 mineral blue MGBGT  (saphire)  searching for an overdrive
68 red MGB Roadster  (ruby)  (sold)
72 mallard green MGB Roadster w/overdrive  (emerald (emmy))
95 plumb mist Ford Crown Victoria w/engine and suspension package -
   my winston cup car (winny)
92 dirty Nissan Stanza (wife's car (no name)) but a great woman
   who owned and drove a new MGA (with no name) when she was in
   college several (yeh, several for sure) years ago