Transmission Oil

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission Oil
From: ejm03@health.state.ny.us
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 14:06:41 EDT
When I first started vintage racing my MGA coupe one of the other racers
suggested that I use Castrol motor oil for 4 stroke motorcycles in my
transmission. It is available at most, if not all, motorcycle shops. It is a
straight weight oil, SAE 30 to SAE 70, and has the necessary additives to
withstand extreme heat of an aircooled motor plus the pressure/ friction load
of transmission gears.

I have used SAE 40 in my MGA 1500 roadster and SAE 50 in my MGA 1600 coupe
 since 1988 with no ill effects. I did tear down the coupe's tranny to replace
 synchros but the bearings, etc. showed no wear after 6 years of racing. I do
thrash that tranny quite hard on the track.

The cost is about twice that of regular motor oil.

Gene "the older I get, the faster I was" Myszkowski
ejm03@health.state.ny.us

1959 MGA 1500 roadster on the road since 1962
1959 MGA 1600 coupe on the track since 1988
1968 MGC-GT soon to be on the road to INDY