Re: MG racing history questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG racing history questions
From: Scott Williams <saw4136@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 03:35:16 +0500
On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Will Zehring wrote:

>I'm curious about a page in the history of spridget racing.  Way back
>when they were new cars, didn't someone race a few one-off spridget
>coupes?  At Le Mans, or Sebring or something?  Who did this?  Where
>can I find out more about these cars and the history of the effort?
>Were the cars fiberglas or metal bodied?  When did this happen?  Were
>the cars competitive?

>Thanks,
>Will "asks a lot of questions, doesn't he?" Zehring

I just KNOW I read an article within the last year about this
very subject, aluminum bodied Sprite or Midget (I believe Midget)
coupes for racing only.  I'll have to retrace my steps.  Trouble is,
I have a collection of Road and Track magazines from the early '60s
that I went through when I bought my '64 Midget project last summer.
Its nice to know what the final product is SUPPOSED to look like.  :-)
I'll just have to force myself to read all those LBC articles all
over again...
BTW, I found my Midget (close enough) in the form of the
'63 Sprite 1100, an article in which they discuss, among other
things, the affect of larger displacement on all-around driveability.
I'll be back with more if I find that article.

Scott A. Williams
Brockport, NY

'64 Midget - neglected in a barn for 20 years