Re: OVERHEATING NEW ENGINE

To: John Bartholomew <jdb70@amail.amdahl.com>
Subject: Re: OVERHEATING NEW ENGINE
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 20:21:53 -0700 (PDT)
I would almost bet money that your gauge is reading incorrectly.
You could:
- buy a cheap aftermarket gauge and sender and install to get second
opinion
- swap for different original gauge and sender
- take sender out of block, put in metal container with water, put torch
or camping stove under container. When the water boils you have 212 F.
If your gauge now shows far in the red - congratulations, it's your gauge.

Ulix

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, John Bartholomew wrote:

> Dear LBC owners, can this be true.
> I have finally got the 76B on the road after the 2 1/5 year restoration and
> now I am concerned about overheating, can this really be true!
> Almost everything is brand new. The engine was boiled out oil ways cleaned,
> re bored 20 over, crank re ground -10, new oil pump, cam, tappets, valve
> seats, valves, push rods, water pump, thermostat, catalytic converter,
> exhaust etc etc. The radiator has been reconditioned, header tank removed
> and tubes cleaned and this sucker runs HOT! I mean the temp gauge is right
> under the H.
>
> Here's what I have done to try to correct this, so far.
> Removed the catalytic converter.
> Removed the thermostat.
> Adjusted the timing and retarded the ignition to 8deg.
> Changed the water pump.
> Used a smaller water pump pulley from a 69B.
> Run the heater.
> Swapped the radiator.
> Replaced the voltage regulator to fuel/temp gauge.
>
> I have driven it about 150 miles total, it runs fine except the temp gauge
> indication scares me (all my good work is going to be ruined?)
> I am beginning to think this is a lost cause. Firstly, should I expect this
> engine to run hot for a period, 500-1000 miles (break in?).
> At about 50MPH the temp remains steady right on the H of the gauge, if I
> idle for 5-10 minutes it creeps up a hair (normal). If there was no temp
> gauge I probably would not worry, but there is! and it is telling me
>something.
> I know these smogged later B's run hotter than their predecessors, but how
> hot is too hot!
> Things left to try.
> Replace the temp sender.
> Install a calibrated water temp gauge (I have one on hand).
> Try a different distributor.
> Install an oil cooler, I was going to do this later anyway.
> SHIP THE CAR TO ALASKA!
>
> I just hate to drive it in this condition in case, I am doing damage.
> Do any of you folk out there have any words of wisdom.......HELP!

> John D. Bartholomew  Amdahl San Jose CA.  Usual disclaimers apply.
>      408-746-6361 - Voice Mail            408-746-8016 - FAX
>                Internet id - jdb70@amail.amdahl.com
>  69 MGBGT; 74 MGB; 79 MGB; restoring 76 MGB; 72 MGB daily driver

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy

           "My philosophy is to fit the best tyres available, not to
            cover up braking performance with ABS," he explains. And
            airbags? "They're a marketing exercise. They were
            introduced because the Americans weren't prepared to
            legislate for the compulsory wearing of seat belts.
            And I hate gimmicks."

                                Peter Wheeler, owner and director of TVR