Re: Synthetic oil in LBC's

To: aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu, mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Synthetic oil in LBC's
From: WAN!DALLAS3!JDL@lennox.attmail.com (LOFTIN, John)
Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 08:17:00 +0000
I agree with Robert's statement, "Investing in fully synthetic oil for your
Minor would
waste money..."  I don't agree that it could do more harm than good.  There
is nothing "magic" about synthetic lubricants.  Synthetic lubricants are
"manufactured" versus a conventional lubricant which is a "blend."  You see
this in the price.  Synthetics are 3 to 4 times more expensive than
conventional lubricants.

As a Mechanical Engineer, my experience with synthetics has been extremely
favorable...  where you can justify the added expense.  The "myth" of
running synthetics for tens of thousands miles with changing the filter only
is false.  Never do this!  The synthetic oil collects dirt and combustion
by-products just like conventional oil.

On a freshly rebuild engine, use conventional oil to break-in the engine for
3k to 5k miles.  Then switch to a synthetic, if you wish.  If you try to
break-in a fresh engine on synthetic oil, the rings may NEVER break-in!

My personal thoughts on the synthetic/conventional oil debate is:

1.  As long as the oil & filter are changed every 3000 miles, you cannot
justify the added expense of synthetic oil.

2.  Consider how the vehicle is used.  If you have a "Sunday afternoon car,"
see rule 1.  If you drive the car hard, extremely hard, (i.e. racing) use a
synthetic oil.