Advise on Buying an MG - General

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Advise on Buying an MG - General
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 21:30:33 -0400 (EDT)
I've been following the conversation pro and con on buying a
partially-restored MGB with great interest.  I, myself, plan on buying an MG
though I am probably about a year away.  Still, I want to use this time to
become better informed.  Does anyone have any general advise concerning the
choice between Midget and MGB or does it really all come down to preference?
I'll disclose a great bias toward a Midget.  It's part of recapturing my
youth <grin> as my very first car was a rusted out 1963 (or 64?) Midget
1098cc.  I loved that car until vandals at my high school turned it upside
down destroying the windscreen, top and assorted other goodies.

However, I am open to considering the B as well.  Any advantages in terms of
reliability, ease of repair, availability of parts, etc?  I know I am going
to buy a chrome bumper model (67 or so probably being the newest I want to
go).  My old Midget had side curtains and no outside door handles which I
always got a kick out of. <grin>  I also sure that the car I buy must be one
in good operating condition when I buy it as I am almost a complete novice
in repair work (even though I helped my dad and brother a bit on my old
Midget).  I look forward to learning, but only as I go.  I want to be able
to drive from day one.

Any general advice is welcome as well as recommended books and thoughts on
how much I can expect to pay for the kind of car I've outlined above.  Oh, I
live in Northern NJ if anyone knows of a close MG club.

Ta very much in advance.

Philip