Re: Distributor Mechanical Advance Springs????

To: fickes@apple.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor Mechanical Advance Springs????
From: JRoss123@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:15:44 -0400
>>Does anyone know if it's possible to order replacement springs for the
>>centrifugal weights inside Lucas distributors?  When I opened mine up,
>>there were two different springs.  I would think they'd be the same, eh?
>
>Oddly enough, my experience, backed by the best mechanic I know, is that
>the springs are indeed different.  Anyone out there know otherwise?  YMMV,
>my experience is limited to my cars...  sf

Yes they are different.  The reason is the advance curve "jumps out" at low
RPM using the weeker spring then flatins out using the stronger spring.
              DEG
                              |                              _
                              |                 _     -     Strong spring

                              |        _  -
                              |     /
                              |   /
                              | /    Weak spring
                              |/___________________________
                                RPM

The reason for this is that the engine need most of its avance above 2000 RPM
and need verry litte advance at idle.  This also helps stop knocking at at
low RPM like when pulling away from stop light and such.

                                       John Ross
 http://members.gnn.com/rossracing

                                       195? Allan Distributor machine
                                       1965 MGB
                                       1967 AH Sprite
                                       1968 MGB
                                       1973 Volvo 164E. FOR SALE
                                       1978 Ford E250 ClubWagon Van
                                       1987 Volvo 765 TGA (The wifes car)
                                       1987 Ford Ranger V6

"New car honey I'ts not mine I'm just storing it for doug....." ;-)