Re: Midget shifter problem

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Midget shifter problem
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 11:36:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 7 May 1996, W. R. Gibbons wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 1996, Michael Chaffee wrote:
>

> > I have a problem with the shifter on my '74 Midget.  It shifts just fine
> > when the transmission is cold, but once it warms up, things get a little
> > strange.  Shifting between neutral, 1st, and 2nd is just fine, as is
>
> etc.
>
> I think your trans is like mine--a ribcase.  It has a steel shaft that
> rides in a hole in the aluminum housing, which conveys the shifter motion
> forward.  On my car, this shaft had gotten rusty during years out in the
> open somewhere.  Shifting was hellish until the shaft was removed and
> cleaned.  Don't know why one might start out fine and go sticky, but that
> is one place to consider.

Since we are all thinking about Michael's transmission:
My ribcase shifts smoothly, the synchros are great.
When I go faster than say 55-60, it sounds like the "linkage" rattles
quite loudly. It sounds almost like the shifter itself rattles, but the
anti-rattle pieces under the shifter are new and I can change the sound of
the rattling slightly by holding or moving the shifter, but cannot
eliminate it. I think my 61 Sprite made the same noise. The noise is not
there until the trans warms up, I think.

Does anyone know what exactly is rattling?
Can I fix this w/o removing the trans?
Please say yes....

If I could, I wouldn't need a Datsun trans conversion yet :)
Ulix

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy