Re: Midget shifter problem

To: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Midget shifter problem
From: Michael Chaffee <mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 15:27:55 -0500
On Tue, 7 May 1996, U. Goettsch wrote:

> Since we are all thinking about Michael's transmission:
> My ribcase shifts smoothly, the synchros are great.

Grrr....

> When I go faster than say 55-60, it sounds like the "linkage" rattles
> quite loudly. It sounds almost like the shifter itself rattles, but the
> anti-rattle pieces under the shifter are new and I can change the sound of
> the rattling slightly by holding or moving the shifter, but cannot
> eliminate it. I think my 61 Sprite made the same noise. The noise is not
> there until the trans warms up, I think.

Mine used to do the exact same thing in both second and fourth.  I never
gave it much thought, regarding it just as a minor nuisance - I could
barely hear it over my Concours d'Alarm grand championship-winning
exhaust anyway.  Anyway, when I put in the new engine last Labor Day,
naturally the shift lever and the anti-rattle bits had to come out.  When
it all went back together, the rattle was gone, and stayed gone.  It has
not recurred in maybe a couple thousand miles since.  My theory is that
things had settled into a rattly position, and simply removing and
reinstalling the lever and that brass plunger thing in the side had made the
anti-rattle stuff work again.

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

CCSO's secretary has officially disavowed any knowledge of my actions.