It Starts!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: It Starts!
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 20:01:11 -0300 (ADT)
First of all, I wish to thank everyone who offered thoughts, suggestions,
advice and prayers regarding my posts on getting my '77 MG with the engine
transplant started. Thought it was timing.

Wasn't.

Thought it was fuel.

Wasn't.

Thought it was valve timing, ie, I had mis-aligned the timing gears upon
reassembly.

That wasn't it either.

I'm almost too embarrased to admit what it was...and it goes something lika
dis..(a onena, ana two..)

When one removes the dual carbs, you are left with the four nuts and
lockwashers that hold the carbs to the intake manifold. Upon teardown, so as
not to misplace these nuts and washers, I simply screwed 'em back onto the
intake manifold bolts.

Well - in the haste of re-assembly, I obviously removed the four nuts - BUT
NOT THE WASHERS! Argh! When the heatshield was replaced, then the carbs
bolted back on, those little puppies left an 1/8 inch gap all the way around
the carbs. No wonder there was no vaccuum (except perhaps inside my cranium).

Removed the carbs, the heat shield, those *(&^%$*%$ washers - reassembled,
turned the key - VAROOM. We have a running MGB again! And I came this close
to tearing down the whole front of the engine, thinking it was the timing
gear thing.

Full credit for the discovery of this little faux pas goes to mechanical
expert extrodinaire, Peter Osbourne, owner of Villiage Green Motor Carriage
Company in Halifax. If you live in Nova Scotia, and have a LBC - Peter is a
person you gotta know.

Now, we must discover why there are slight leaks at the oil pan. Looks like
I didn't get the rear main seal in correctly, 'cause there's a drip there
too. Rats. Need to effect final adjustment of the timing and carbs, and
we're mobile after some seven months of sitting up on stands. I can hardly
wait! This will be the weekend!

In other news, the parts-a-ramma '71 BGT is now a memory. Stripped 'er down
to a bare shell this past weekend. Saved the doors & glass, all GT aluminum
trim, dash, seats, steering wheel, hood, hatch and fiberglass front fenders.
If I'd a) more room, b) more time - I would have dropped the front and rear
suspension, but it was time for the hulk to go - and rusted! I can't recall
seeing a GT so badly corroded. The transmission tunnel and the roof was
about all that held this one together as it went off to the scrapyard. Watch
for it appearing as part of your next car!

In other non-MG news, my daily family transport - a Nissan Altima, will be
repaired. Faithful readers may remember my "Horror Story(Happy Ending)"
post. Now, before anyone starts a-flamin' here - that car saved my son's
life. Final estimate - almost 9 grand. The airbags didn't deploy - because
the ignition wasn't on, which is why it wasn't written off. Had they
deployed - estimate at 3000 bucks each - would have written the car off. Had
a close look at the car last week, and it took the head-on from the pick-up
rather well. Hood, bumpers, rads etc. all collapsed. No major structural
damage - so we'll have to wait and see the quality of the repair. Ever
faithful in mankind (er, person-kind)I am hopeful that all will be well. If
not - it's a lease, and there was a clone in the showroom - with an automatic!

Had the GT out for it's maiden voyage for '96 on Saturday to the premier
season gathering of the British Automobile Touring Association of Nova
Scotia. Ran like a top. I've owned this car for 23 years, always winter
stored, and every spring - that first drive is like being re-aquainted with
an old lover....not that I'd know for sure what that was like, but one can
imagine....spiritual appologies to my wife of 20 years, it's only a metaphor
my dear!

There is an aroma to my GT that I'd love to have as a cologne! Every spring
that first drive, those sounds, that aroma - it's intoxicating. Not only
that - it runs so sweet! Next on the agenda - dust off the '68 for it's
maiden voyage of the season, then the '77.

Gawd, I love these cars!

Terry "Spring Fever" Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster
'77 roadster   (all running!!! Awlrightythen!!!))