RE: I broke my '67 BGT

To: mgs-owner <mgs-owner@autox.team.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I broke my '67 BGT
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 15:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
Bad cam?
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Subject: I broke my '67 BGT
Date: Wednesday,May 08,1996 9:39AM

I took off in 1st and wound to about 5K. Shifted to 2nd and as I applied
power a definite knock appeared. Knock disappeared coasting. Knock is
related
to power, Knock is not as solid as a rod but definitely substantial. Engine
did not idle unless some extra fuel was added via the choke but otherwise
still ran fairly smooth.

I babied it home about 2 mi and the temp was beginning to go up unusually
for
the circumstances. Also was loosing more power as I drove. Oil pressure
stayed good.

Took off the valve cover. Some, not all, tappets now have as much as 1/8
clearance being more pronounced to the rear, but the rearmost is normal and
the extra clearance does not graduate evenly from tappet to tappet. No bent
push rods. All valves seem at proper level (no missing seats) and all
rockers
and valve stems operate properly when I turn it over. There are no loose
adjusting lock nuts or other fastners. No knock or other special noise while
turning over with the starter. No water in oil or vise vers
a. Havn't done a compression test yet.

Please, anyone got any ideas before I tear it out?

Ernest
barrister@lawref.com