Thanks for carb info, and Carlisle talk

Subject: Thanks for carb info, and Carlisle talk
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 19:41:13 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks for the one person who responded to my query about the various
carbs.  I would still like anyone's input even though I have made a purchase.

Naturally, my ISP's login server went down a few minutes after I posted
my query, and I didn't get any replies until I got back from Carlisle.

The upshot is this:  The HS6s were beautiful but I couldn't get an answer
for exactly what they were needled for (meaning, what exhaust and cam were
involved in the setup).  My experts on the scene went hog wild for Weber,
since it has an accellerator pump and so forth.   Since they are also
local to me at home, I thought seriously of the 45 DCOE.

The SK carb is a 45 DCOE clone.  It came with a manifold and K&N filter
for $250.  The nearest Weber was $285 for a much more used one, with a
very tired non-K&N filter.

The SK carb has a vacuum port for the distributor.  My impression is that
this will let me preserve a bit of gas mileage for round-town driving,
versus the regular DCOE.

Please let me know any opinions on Weber or SK versus HS versus HIF for
low speed (60 mph or less) use.  I am interested in strong accelleration
in 1st and 2nd.

Yes, it was nice to meet some of the folks behind the keyboard, although
I recognized only a few names.  Thanks to Roger for the SOL logo color
printout, which I promptly made into a smart-looking name tag.

I ended up with:

SK carb mentioned above ($250)
Alloy rocker cover and oil filler cap ($57)
5 Rostyle wheels ($85)
Misc books and mags, lapel pins (don't ask)
Misc tools (ditto)
3 car covers (2 on order, one on the RX7 outside). ($55 ea.)

I also came back with sore feet and a big credit card bill <grin>.

I missed out on:

$425 HS6 pair
$325 for 4 gorgeous Rostyles, trim rings, and new no-name tires.

And all the various Datsun wheels I was afraid to buy, considering the
different offset.  Some nice light ones there.

It was fun, but I wish the tornado hadn't come through (yes, one hit
Harrisburg as well as NY), and that the weather hadn't discouraged the
vendors so much.  The cruise-out was rained-out as well, which was
disappointing.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"Look out for #1.  Don't step in #2 either."