Midget 1500 Gearbox

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget 1500 Gearbox
From: Matthew Jones <matt@matanza.cc.kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 12:45:25 +0000 (GMT)
The gearbox on our Midget 1500 (1979) is in a pretty bad way.  It drives
ok but makes an awful racket in 1st & reverse (especially reverse).

I read in the Haynes manual that it is only possible to remove the
gearbox by removing the engine with it.  Is this true?

The clutch is also slipping a little and again it says in the Haynes
manual that the whole lot needs to come out to change the clutch.

Are there any tricks or tips that might make the whole procedure a little
less bothersome?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Matt

Message from:  Matthew Jones