my obscene tube & the right thing to do

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: my obscene tube & the right thing to do
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 08:49:21 -0400
Fellow fiends:

Now that I have your attention:
MGB owners may be aware of that oddly shaped tube that hangs down from the
heater box, there in the tranny tunnel, with its oddly anatomical shape.
Many of you know that it is a drain tube for the fresh air space of the
heater box.  Some of you may know that the tube gets clogged with crud
(leaves, tree buds, etc.) at this time of the year, and that space tends to
reatin water after rains and washings.

Mine did too, but I did something about it!

I washed the car yesterday, after several days of the rotten wet and cold
weather that passes for spring up here in Michigan, when I noted about an
inch of standing water, as I balefully gazed into the fresh air vend on the
scuttle.  I jacked up the front of the car, crawled underneath (safely) and
with my longest screw driver (about 14 inches, that one) I proceded to
"probe" the little buggar (John's knob, I think they called it back at the
factory).  About a quart of dirty water drained out!  I imagine it would
have drained out anyway, but it would have taken about four days to do so,
drip by drip.  The right tool for the job, I always say!  My heater box is
dry now, and the whole affair drains with speed and efficiency.  Just what
MGs are all about.

A word to the wise:  Next time you have your engine out, I suggest you
thuroughly clean that tube and make sure the drain passage is free.  I don't
think driving around with about a quart of dirty water in your heater area
is the right thing to do.

No sir, not the right thing to do at all.

I remain,
Will Zehring