Re: Problem with splined hubs?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Problem with splined hubs?
From: "Ad Design" <ad.design@guardian.co.uk>
Date: 16 May 1996 20:23:16 +0100
I've been experiencing a knocking noise from my rear axle. It occurs
during gear changes and sudden acceleration and deacceleration. When I
remove one of my rear wire spoked wire wheels and wipe any grease away it
disappears for a while but soon returns.
This leads me to suspect the splines have worn. How do I know if my
splines have worn? Is there some sort of measurement I can carry out?
Could it be a problem in the hub of the wheel?
I presume the noise is from a spline jumping a tooth or two.

Regards and thanks for anticipated reply.

Walter Cahill (1962 B Roadster).