Re: Problem with splined hubs?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Problem with splined hubs?
From: "MIKE_J2@SFOV1.VERIFONE.COM" <MIKE_J2@sfov1.verifone.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 16:08:41 -1000
This one went into my MG file, but one question remains for me:

>The splines are meant to be greased, and the knockoffs should be
>whacked on fairly tightly.

Please define "whacked on fairly tightly".  Is this convertible into a
torque value?  Or a sledge hammer/hammer whacker size formula?
I may not be able to insert my pinky into a spark plug hole and spin an
engine over, but at 6' tall and around 200+ Lbs I have been known to put
some effort behind a hammer whack.

Side question, I've seen in a few catalogs a longer knockoff octogon
wrench.  If I got one of those long wrenchs would I still need a hammer to
install or remove my knockoffs?

Mike Jaquet  (speaking softly, and shopping for a big spanner)