Choke cable connection

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Choke cable connection
From: Stephanie & Dennis Littrell <dlittrel@northernnet.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 14:47:57 -0500 (CDT)
Well, I'm stumped. Tried to start the '73 B and the choke knob and about 2=
 inches of the shaft came off in my hand. Upon investigation, I found a=
 choke connection that can only be described as bizarre. The cable came up=
 from below, passing through the connection, and then fastened tight at the=
 bracket that the throttle cable also passes through. I have had the car a=
 week, so I am new to the mysteries of MGs, but it does not look as though=
 this arrangement could have ever worked properly, as it would have been the=
 cable sleeve exerting the pressure on the choke mechanism. I can't find a=
 decent picture of the arrangement in any of my manuals. The closest I can=
 come is in Clausager's "Original MGB...", and it doesn't quite show the=
 actual connection. It does appear that the cable came down from above and=
 through the bracket first, and then connected to th mechanism, but I can'=
 figure how. Can anyone tell me exactly how the cable was connected to the=
 mechanism, as apparantly there are some parts missing. Please reply to me=
 personally, as I am having a problem with receipt of the digest (when it=
 rains, it pours). I leave myself to your tender mercies, and many thanks.

Dennis
'73 B Roadster " Shirley Valentine"