Re: What is a jubilee clip?

Subject: Re: What is a jubilee clip?
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 13:34:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 20 May 1996, 007 wrote:

> Reading thru the Haynes manual, I found a reference to a jubilee clip.
> Haynes sez that if you don't have a piston ring compressor, why then a
> jubilee clip is the next best thing.  So maybe our Brit friends from the
> other side of puddle can enlighten us poor colonials - What is a jubilee
> clip ?????

A Jubilee Clip is what we Yanks know as a hose clamp.  The worm-drive type
is easiest to find, but before you clamp it over the ring & piston use
emory cloth to smooth off any burrs in the inside diameter where the
"threads"  are punched through the band.  Those burrs will score the
piston as you push it into the bore.

Unless you can find a wider hose clamp than I've ever seen, the clamp by
itself will handle only one ring at a time. Another solution is to wrap a
piece of sheet metal around all the rings and use two hose clamps to hold
it all together.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.