Re: Anti-roll bar hit the lower pan

To: Kazuya Horibe <midget@megumi.system.nitech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: Anti-roll bar hit the lower pan
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 23:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 22 May 1996, Kazuya Horibe wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 1996 ,Ulix Goettsch wrote:
>
> >> I think the best way to prevent from it
> >> is Anti-roll bar link change long one.
> >Yes, you are probably correct, that longer links would help. The question
> >is, what kind of links are you using? Do you have the original type links
> >with ball-shaped ends, or do you have the universal (ADDCO) type, which is
> >basically made of a long bolt, some spacers washers and replacable rubber
> >(or nylon) bushings?
>
> I use the original type links with ball-shaped ends.
>
> >If you have this type, you can get two diffrent lengths from ADDCO. I
> >bought mine through Victoria British. If your short ones are still good,
> >simply buy longer bolts and make some spacers, and you'll have the same
> >thing!
>
> >If you use the original type, I can't really help you. You can NOT change
> >to the universal type. If you can't find longer ones, maybe you can have
> >them cut and a piece of rod welded in.
>
> I don't know about universal (ADDCO) type.
> But I can't help wondering why I can't change to the universal type.
> I want to know the reason.
>
> Hu--um,I don't know how and where to get longer ones (original type links).
> But I don't really want to cut and weld the links.

The main difference is that your swaybar has the holes drilled from the
side (horizontal hole), while aftermarket swaybars have the holes drilled
from the top (vertical hole).
With the vertical hole, and an angle bracket bolted to the original
swaybar bracket on the lower pan, you can use a universal link. Because it
connects two "vertical" holes (in the swaybar and in the angle bracket),
it is just a long bolt with spacers and bushings on it - very simple.

Maybe it would be possible to attach a second angle bracket to the
horizontal hole in your swaybar, and then use the universal link, but I
am skeptical.

Are you using the original thin swaybar?
If you lowered your car with spacers, it is probably OK, but if you used
lower springs that are stiffer too, then the original bar is probably too
small to make a difference.
You should then use an 11/16" or 3/4" bar.
I use a 3/4" bar with original stock springs, and it is a little too big.
If you can get a bigger swaybar cheap, it might be the easiest fix (you
could then use the universal links)

I just thought of another solution.
Suppliers of race parts (for instance Winners Circle) sell links for your
bar made of "spherical rod ends". They are adjustable in length!
They are made for racing and have no rubber in them. This should work for
you.
I can't really think of a way to explain in words how these look.

Let me know if you have more questions,
Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy