Ignition light dies

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition light dies
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 10:32:46 +0100
Hi MG fans,

Since my MGB is capable of driving (I won't say I finished the
restoration!) I've driven about 200 miles in it. I even participated
in an MGCC Holland event last Sunday (Hoekschewaardrit).
(They really liked the California license plates on the car!! ;-)

Everything worked OK until last night. This is what happened:
I turned the key, my ignition light went on. I started the engine,
ignition light stayed on, I revved the engine and the ignition light
lighted up very brightly and went out. (I thought that was OK then!)

This morning the ignition light wouldn't come on at all. Everything
else worked OK. The B drove fine. At first I checked the lightbulb of
the ignition light: Black, and definitely out of order. Happy that
the solution was so easy I replaced the lightbulb (12 V 3 W).

Ignition light worked OK until I started the engine. Then same thing
as described above occurred. Lightbulb died again. Obviously the
current through the lightbulb is too high.

What's wrong??? (Something with the generator ('67 3 synchro car),
voltage regulator or what?)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bert Otten
'67 B

P.S. Last Sunday I've even driven a MGF from one of the MGCC members.
Nice car, but it really is too new for me, and I don't want to be
associated with people who buy new sportscars :-)

(OK, OK, I don't have the money either!)