Re: Electrical question

To: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 09:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 22 May 1996, Wayne Kube wrote:

> SLUPECKI A. wrote:
> >
> > I have all of the turn signal lights, brake lights, and side markers removed
> > from my 78B for painting.  The body shop is only a short drive away.
> >
> > Would the brake lights and turn turn signals function correctly if I were
>to put
> > only those lights back on in order to drive the car to the body shop?  Last
> > night when I tried this, both turn signals would turn on at the same time.
> > Brake lights were only dim.  Do I have something hooked up wrong or do the
> > disconnected wires cause malfunctions?
> >
> > Thx.
>
> Sounds like you have a poor ground.  Check the multiple wire ground
> point that connect inside the trunk to the license plate mounting bolt.
> Make sure it's tight.  Not sure how the turn signals would operate if
> the front lights were not there.

If both turn signals come on at the same time, you have something
connected wrong. Without front signals, the rears should blink very fast,
or glow continuously, but not both at once.
I agree that dim brake lights could be due to bad ground, but it is also
possible that you connected your brake light cables to the tail light
filaments rather than the brake light filaments in the taillight bulbs.

Ulix

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy