Re: Plastic clutch alignment thing

To: Jean-Pierre Labuschagne <jpl@dbsa.org>
Subject: Re: Plastic clutch alignment thing
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 08:04:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 24 May 1996, Jean-Pierre Labuschagne wrote:

> What is the plastic clutch alignment thing(tool) that Moss sells used for?
>and then how would one use it? The third question related is, they offer two
>options a 10 spline and another one (I don't have the parts book in front of
>me). Which one do I need (I have a 57 MGA 1500), is this a case of taking the
>necessary bits apart and counting the splines?

You don't NEED either one of them. It is a helper tool, but one can do
without. If you bolt the clutch basket up to your flywheel, the clutch
plate is being held by the basket, but can move around before the bolts
are tightened. To be able to get the transmission shaft into the clutch
plate hole upon connecting engine and transmission, the clutch
plate need to be very well centered in the clutch basket before it is
torqued down.
The tool will lign things up for you. The splines therefore correspond to
the type of transmission input shaft you have.
Because the task is to lign up two concentric circles (one inside the
other), the human eye can do very accurate gauging in this case. It is
therefore possible to just eyeball the two holes (you see the hole in the
clutch plate through the hole in the clutch basket), move things around
until you are satified, and then bolt thing down.
I have never done it any other way.

Of course, you can also make an alignment dowel like this out of wood or
use an old transmission input shaft if you want.

Have fun,
Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy